Home Page

The Grove Infant and Nursery School

Achieving our potential in our creative learning community


SEND School information


The Grove Infant and Nursery School - SEND School Information                                                                          

How does the school know if the children need extra help and what should I do if I think my child may have special educational needs?

Regular assessments allow the school to develop a clear understanding of a child’s abilities and whether the curriculum is accessible to them.  Any child who is not able to access the curriculum or is not making appropriate progress will be given interventions and, where appropriate, support from outside professionals.  If you think your child has special needs then our open door policy allows parents are able to discuss your child with the class teacher, SENCo, Learning Support Teacher or the Head Teacher.  The school will work with parents as your views, are important to us.


How will school staff support my child?

The school will work alongside children and parents to assess and support all children.  The school will regularly review and evaluate the breadth and impact of support it offers or can access.  The school will cooperate with the local authority in reviewing the provision that is available locally and in developing the local offer.  The school will make reasonable adjustments for your child.  Your child can be supported in many ways.  For those children that need it, there will be a more personalised curriculum.  Differentiated learning and activities are planned in all the classes.  There will be opportunities for small group teaching as well as 1:1 support. All classes have the valuable support of a T.A.  Staff and pupils also use visual timetables and practical resources to support literacy and numeracy.  Social stories can also used at home and at school to help with continuity of behaviour. The school will also act on the advice of Speech and Language Therapists and any other specialist teachers that can offer us and your child appropriate support.  The school will work with parents as your support, help, advice etc is important to us.

How will I know how my child is doing?

The children’s progress is assessed, tracked and evaluated to ensure interventions are working.  Staff work together to share ideas and in the assessment of your child.   Concerns are discussed with the SENCo and the Head. In order for us to inform you of the progress of your child meetings are often arranged at the end of the day.  There are parent/teacher consultations in the Autumn and Spring terms and end of year reports in the Summer term.   There are also informal Open Classrooms that take place monthly to informally look at your child’s work. A home/school diary can be used to inform parents of a child’s progress in specific areas of need e.g. behaviour, progress, etc. 

How will the learning and development provision be matched to my child’s needs?

The teacher will put into place, differentiated activities as a child’s needs become apparent.  Discussions with the previous teacher will ensure continuity in support needed.   The children are also asked to share their opinion of how they are doing and what would help them improve. Following assessment in class, specific strategies are put in place where necessary. Where appropriate, outside professionals are consulted and an Individual Education Plan set up, detailing the support in place.  An EHC (Education Health Care) plan can also be set up for those children with more complex needs. The aim of the EHCP is to secure the best possible outcome for your child not only in education but also in relation to health and social issues, and to ensure their needs are met and addressed as they get older and prepare for adulthood.
What support will there be for my child’s overall wellbeing?

Your child’s overall well-being is paramount.  Our aim is for your child to be happy and thrive throughout the school and that includes monitoring the children during lunch and playtimes, as well as during transition, such as moving from class to class and round the school.  There are extensive PSHE/Circle time activities so that your child can voice their opinions and discuss issues relevant to their well-being.  A variety of outside the class therapy services can be accessed where appropriate, e.g. art therapy, play therapy, counselling.  Family Support workers linked to the school can support parents with advice and signposting them to relevant services.  The school uses the Common Assessment Framework to organise wider working between professionals to co-ordinate support should it be needed.  A ‘Team around the Child’ meeting is sometimes the best way to ensure that all of a child’s needs are being met.
What specialist services and expertise are available at or accessed by the school?

There are a variety of specialist professionals that can support your child and advise us.  They could be Speech and Language Therapists, Educational Psychologists, Autism Advisory Teachers, Behaviour Management specialists and others that are available to support your child’s needs.  Often your GP will work with the school if a referral to see a pediatrician is being considered.  Information about workshops and forums are publicised on noticeboards and in newsletters.  There are also specific Learning Support Staff that work with children in school, liaising closely with the class teacher on IEP targets.
What training have the staff, supporting children and young people with SEND, had or are having?

There are many courses available to provide teaching staff with the skills they need to support specific needs.  These courses are available throughout the year.  There are also times when other specialists or professionals will come into school and train and advise at a staff meeting or on an inset day.  Teachers and TAs may attend.  Staff are also trained in the maintenance and operation of medical equipment where necessary e.g. hearing aids.  Staff also liaise with NHS medical staff when appropriate.    Specialist training may be provided for staff to deliver medical interventions, physiotherapy exercises, support with inhalers and epipens, etc.
How will you help me to support my child’s learning?

We will help you to support your child’s learning through regular discussions and meetings.  You will also be given the opportunity to talk to other professionals after they have assessed your child. You can help support your child’s learning through ongoing discussions with the class teacher, other professionals and coming to workshops and curriculum meetings.  In the Autumn and Spring term the Learning Support Teacher is available to discuss progress and how you can continue to help your child at home.  There are a variety of programmes or activities that can be done at home with your child to help with their learning. 
How will I be involved in discussions about and planning for my child’s education?

Every step of the way, you will be consulted about your child’s learning through regular meetings.  Your opinion, advice and support are essential to your child’s progress.
How will my child be included in all aspects of school life?

Activities outside the classroom and school trips are available to all the children.  The external school environment has been developed with different areas, containing a stimulating, relaxing and multifunctional area for active games and a quiet area where your child can access extra adult support if appropriate. There is also a variety of lunchtime and after school clubs available for all children to take part in and staff and external providers are happy to make necessary adjustments to ensure they are inclusive and accessible to all.   
How accessible is the school environment?

The school has been made fully accessible for all with ramps and rails, and adjustments can be made to the physical environment to meet the needs of individual children. Often other professionals work with the school to make appropriate suggestions when special furniture is needed.  Risk assessment management plans and adaptions of classroom environments are made where needed.  We are also able to arrange for interpreters to come to meetings with parents to ensure that any plans are accessible to all.
Who can I contact for further information?

For further information about the schools services please contact the Head Teacher Anna Archer or Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator Sonya Parrott.
How will the school prepare and support my child to join the school, transfer too a new school or the next stage of education and life?

When your child starts at school or moves on, an appropriate transition plan will be drawn up.  Nursery Staff along with the SENCo, liaise with Pre schools and the Children’s Centre to develop a clear picture of the needs of children starting school. Similarly we work to provide necessary transition plans for children moving to other settings, including the Grove Junior School.
How are the school’s resources allocated and matched to children’s special educational needs?

The school is provided with funding to help in the support of those with additional needs, including children with SEND.  This funding is determined by a local funding formula, but we can also make an application for Exceptional Needs Funding from Children’s Services if this is deemed necessary.  The school has a bank of practical resources, which are accessible for the teachers and children to use.  Outside professionals can also provide, or advise us on appropriate resources.
How is the decision made about how much support my child will receive?

All decisions concerning the child and the support they receive will be discussed with the school, teachers and parents and will be reviewed and evaluated at regular intervals throughout the year.
How can I find information about the local authority’s Local Offer of services and provision for children and young people with special educational needs and disability

The local authority Local Offer can be found on the Hertfordshire website